Tuesday 7 March 2017

Crunchy Chickpea Tacos

Crunchy Chickpea Tacos
This recipe had me at "fish tacos".  It said that these tacos had the flavor of typical California fish tacos...so I had to try them.  I love fish tacos!  And these did actually taste a lot like them.  

6 large corn or flour tortillas
1 can (15oz) chickpeas drained and rinsed
1/2 tsp ancho chili powder (I used Trader Joe's Chili Lime Seasoning)
3 C cabbage, shredded
1 C carrots shredded
1/2 C thinly sliced red onion (I didn't have it, but wished I did)
1/2 small seeded and diced poblano pepper (I left out)
1/2 sliced green onions (I left out - these bland kids!)
1/4 C fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 C tofu cashew mayonnaise
2 tbsp lime juice
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 medium avocado, pitted and sliced (or made into guac, like we did)
1 tbsp sriracha (optional - I left out)

So, basically you can see that I left out a bunch of stuff that I was afraid the kids wouldn't like, but I think it would have made them so much better! Also, I think that you could just buy the coleslaw mix in a bag and that would have worked fine.  Also, I have a love hate relationship with tofu.  I haven't quite figured it out yet.  It never seems to turn out like the picture shows or recipe says.  I always end up with a hummus consistency, when I was supposed to have a mayonnaise consistency. I think it's because I'm supposed to be using a "Vitamix" blender (everyone swears by them), but I refuse to pay $400 for a blender!!   

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Shape the tortillas in an oven safe bowl and baking in the oven until crispy, around 5-10 minutes.

In a large mixing bowl, smash the chickpeas with a fork and sprinkle with chili powder.      
 Add the cabbage, carrot, onion, pepper, green onion, cilantro, mayonnaise and lime juice.
Mix thoroughly, adding salt last.
 I bought corn tortillas, but I think they were bad.  They smelled bad and had a powdery film on them.  I should have taken them back since they were just bought, but thankfully, I had flour tortillas and they turned out fine.
 Divide the mixture up among the tortilla bowls, add avocado (or guac) and Sriracha if you'd like it spicy.
Caleb ate an entire bowl and, of course, Amelia didn't like it and only ate the tortilla.  
We had fruit with it.  I think I will make these again and add all of the other ingredients I left out.  

Tofu Cashew Mayonnaise
1/4 C cashews, soaked in water for 2-3 hours, then drained
7 oz. extra firm tofu
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp tahini (sesame seed butter - like peanut butter)
4 tsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp white vinegar
1 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 1/2 tsp agave nectar (I didn't have this, so I used maple syrup.  Not sure if it worked or not)
2 tbsp water
1/4 tsp zanthan gum (optional - to make your mayonnaise thicker.  I wasn't buying this, plus mine was thick like hummus anyway)

Place all the ingredients in a high powered blender (maybe this was my problem, because I just put it in the food processor) and blend until smooth and shiny.  

No comments:

Post a Comment