Wednesday 15 March 2017

Chickpea Chili

(Photo taken from Forks Over Knives)

So I can already see that things are going to get a bit more hectic with me working.  Even though I'm only working during the kids school hours, that still leaves me no time for other errands and food prep.  But, I think that we'll still be able to eat as well as we have been...it'll just take a little more planning.  And honestly, I haven't even once craved meat.  That is the craziest part! 

Friday, Shawn had the day off, so we went out to breakfast and out to lunch.  That's kind of a big deal!  We tried a new place called Natural Cafe.  My friend says it's hippier than Urbane Cafe (which for those of you who don't know, might even be hippier than Panera).  I got a taco bowl (I can't remember the name).  But I couldn't believe I had never thought of it before.  It was so easy, I made it the next day at home with leftovers I had from earlier in the week.
It was just corn tortilla chips, brown rice, black beans, shredded carrots and jicama, lettuce, topped with guacamole and salsa (and sour cream, which I totally forgot to ask them to take off).  Delicious!  I'm sure you have all the ingredients for this at home right now.  

Last night I made Chickpea Chili on Baked Potatoes.  Shawn said he could have done without the potato, but the chili - I thought - was delicious!  Amelia ate it and Caleb said it was ok.  
Because I have a million things to do before family gets here in two days, I'm just copying and pasting it for you.  

Here are the changes I made:
-I used regular, frozen diced onion in place of the red onion.  
-I used canned, organic diced tomatoes (two cans).
-I used canned chickpeas instead of dry.
-I didn't have white wine vinegar, so I omitted it.
-Forgot the cilantro :o(
-I used the 3C water called for near the end, but I totally think this could have been omitted bc of all of the tomato juice (I should have read the reviews bc everyone else said this too.)

There was a ton of chili left over, so we'll be having that again tonight!  Too bad we don't have any crusty bread to go with it!
Enjoy!

CHICKPEA CHILI ON BAKED POTATOES
By Darshana Thacker
Serves 4
Ready In: 1 hour, 20 minutes

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked and drained *NOTE* 1 C dried chickpeas = 2 15 oz. cans chickpeas
4 large russet potatoes (about 2 pounds), scrubbed
4 cups diced tomatoes
2 cups diced red bell pepper

8 ounces button mushrooms, trimmed and diced (about 2 cups)
1 cup finely chopped red onion 
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano

11⁄2 cups diced celery
1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
1 cup fresh or frozen corn
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder or to taste
1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, divided
Sea salt, to taste
At a deli one afternoon, I ordered a tomato-vegetable soup and a baked potato. When I received the two items, they looked like they belonged together, so I poured the soup right over the potato. The result? A tasty new meal and the spark that led to all sorts of new dishes that turn baked potatoes into the base for soups, stews, and chilies. This is one of my favorites.
From The Forks Over Knives Plan
Instructions:
1. Place the soaked and drained chickpeas in a medium saucepan and add 3 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, partially covered, until they are tender to the bite but not falling apart, 30 to 45 minutes. Add water as necessary to keep the chickpeas covered. Drain and set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
3. Use a fork to poke holes in the potatoes in several places. Place them on a baking sheet and bake until a fork goes through to the center easily, 40 to 60 minutes. (If the potatoes are baked before the stew is ready, turn the oven off and let the potatoes stand in hot oven until ready to serve.)
4. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, place the tomatoes, red bell pepper, mushrooms, onion, garlic, cumin, and oregano. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. (The juices from the onion and tomatoes will be enough to keep the sauce from burning.) Transfer the sauce to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside.
5. To the same saucepan, add 3 cups water. Add the reserved cooked chickpeas, the celery, green bell pepper, and corn. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add the reserved tomato sauce, vinegar, lemon juice, paprika, chili powder, half of the cilantro, and salt to taste. Cook until the vegetables are tender and the
Powered by TCPDF (www.tcpdf.org)
chili thickens, 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Use a sharp knife to cut down the length of each potato and spread them open. Pour a good helping of the chili over each potato. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment